Do you struggle to keep up with customer queries and complaints? Are you looking for ways to improve customer service without hiring more employees? If so, chatbots might be the solution you're looking for.
Chatbots have been around for a while, but it wasn't until the rise of messaging apps like Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp, and WeChat that they took off. These apps have billions of users worldwide, and businesses have realized they can use chatbots to interact with their customers on these platforms.
What are chatbots?
They are computer programs that use artificial intelligence (AI) to simulate conversations with humans.
They use natural language processing (NLP) to understand and interpret customers' queries. They can recognize keywords and phrases and use them to provide relevant responses. Some can also learn from previous conversations to improve their responses over time.
Here are examples of Chatbots helping businesses be efficient:
- Poncho - a weather bot that provides personalized weather forecasts and alerts via SMS, Facebook Messenger, and Slack.
- 1-800-Flowers - a bot that helps customers order flowers and gifts for various occasions.H&M - a bot that helps customers browse and purchase clothing and accessories from H&M's online store.
- Woebot - a mental health bot that uses cognitive-behavioural therapy techniques to help users manage their mental health.
- Domino's Pizza - a bot that allows customers to order pizzas and track their delivery status.
- HealthJoy - a healthcare bot that helps users find doctors, manage their healthcare expenses, and access virtual care.
- Mastercard KAI - a bot that helps users manage their finances, track their spending, and make payments using their Mastercard.
- Duolingo - a language learning bot that helps users learn new languages by providing personalized lessons and practice exercises.
- Kayak - a travel bot that helps users find and book flights, hotels, and rental cars.
- Siri - Apple's virtual assistant uses natural language processing to respond to users' queries and perform tasks like setting reminders, making calls, and sending messages.
How are chatbots used as virtual assistants?
One of the most popular uses of chatbots is virtual assistants. They can help customers with various tasks, from ordering food to booking flights. For example, a chatbot for a restaurant might be able to:
- take orders
- suggest menu items
- provide information about the restaurant's location and hours of operation.
They can also be used to provide customer support. They can:
- answer frequently asked questions
- provide product information
- troubleshoot common issues.
This can help businesses improve their customer service and reduce the workload on their human employees.
Another way they can be used as virtual assistants is to help with personal tasks. For example, a chatbot for a bank might be able to help customers check their account balance, transfer money, and pay bills.
Similarly, a chatbot for a travel company might be able to help customers book flights, hotels, and rental cars.
What are the benefits of using chatbots as virtual assistants?
Using chatbots as virtual assistants has many benefits for businesses.
a) Chatbots can provide instant responses to customers' queries
This can help improve customer satisfaction. They can also handle multiple conversations at once, which can help reduce wait times for customers.
b) Chatbots can help businesses save money
They can handle routine customer service tasks so that human employees can focus on more complex issues. This can help reduce labour costs and improve efficiency.
c) Chatbots can also be used for lead generation and sales
They can initiate conversations with potential customers and guide them through sales. For example, a chatbot for an e-commerce store might be able to recommend products based on the customer's preferences and previous purchases.
d) Chatbots can also be used for employee productivity
They can help automate scheduling, expense reporting, and HR inquiries. This can help reduce the workload on human employees and free up their time for more important tasks.
e) Chatbots can be customized to fit the specific needs of a business
They can be programmed to use the tone and language of the brand, and they can be integrated with other systems like CRM and analytics tools.
f) Chatbots can help businesses gather data on their customers
They can track customer interactions, preferences, and behaviours, which can help businesses improve their marketing strategies and personalize their services.
There are different types of chatbots, including rule-based chatbots and AI-powered chatbots.
Rule-based chatbots use a predetermined set of rules and responses, while AI-powered chatbots use machine learning algorithms to improve their responses over time.
Chatbots can also be used for social media marketing. They can help businesses engage with their followers, answer questions, and provide customer support on platforms like Facebook and Twitter.
While chatbots have many benefits, they also have limitations. They may be unable to handle complex or sensitive issues requiring human empathy and understanding. Businesses should carefully consider the scope and limitations of chatbots before implementing them.
As chatbot technology improves, we expect more advanced features such as natural language processing and predictive analytics. While chatbots cannot replace human interaction entirely, they can certainly play a valuable role in enhancing customer service and improving business efficiency.